Boat batteries

smerchly

I'm charging both batteries today . I have a digital charger (lights) that has options for charging both batteries . 

First option is to see the charge %  or battery out put condition .  

Second is to select charge rate  ( 2% , 10% , 15% ) 

Third is type of battery   ( reg. or deep cycle) 

You tube says " charge a deep cycle at 10 or 15 amps ?  I have been using 2 amps.....

Both batteries stay in my non heated garage all winter so I charge every month .

I use the deep cycle for my 16' alum.canoe (trolling motor ) but it's a back breaker ...thinking about using the starter battery instead , maybe 10 lbs lighter ?

I would only need 2 hrs of trolling time as I like to drift and anchor mostly .

So the questions are what rate to charge your deep cycle , and can I use my lighter starter motor  for short runs ? 

My 78 year old back lets me know that 5 gal.of gas (50 lbs) can be trouble......   :unsure:

I believe deep cycle batteries are designed to accept multiple charges repeatedly.  Whereas regular type batteries aren't designed for the multiple charges that a deep cycle would get. That's not to say you cant use eithe, just that a conventional battery may not last as long. 

3 hours ago, Surf and Turf said:

if you are canoeing up the creek.

I always go upstream in the canoe ha !   Or check out the wind direction before venturing out and go into the wind ....the "drift" back can be good fishing !    And I always have 2 paddles ...  

I should take the smaller battery ,fully charged and give it a try ....should have a small battery tester on hand to check the charge while out there .

Shoemaker ,  I read a little about multi charging batteries . Both batteries are usually down about 30% in a month or so , so top them up to 100% about  5 times in cold temperatures . 

I'm due for new batteries as both are now 6 years old .  

Talking to my neighbour today who has an in-ground pool . He said it was ok to bring my canoe over to check for leaks ....saves me from going to Jordan to check it out ....then the paint job !  B)

1 hour ago, smerchly said:

I always go upstream in the canoe ha !   Or check out the wind direction before venturing out and go into the wind ....the "drift" back can be good fishing !    And I always have 2 paddles ...  

I should take the smaller battery ,fully charged and give it a try ....should have a small battery tester on hand to check the charge while out there .

Shoemaker ,  I read a little about multi charging batteries . Both batteries are usually down about 30% in a month or so , so top them up to 100% about  5 times in cold temperatures . 

I'm due for new batteries as both are now 6 years old .  

Talking to my neighbour today who has an in-ground pool . He said it was ok to bring my canoe over to check for leaks ....saves me from going to Jordan to check it out ....then the paint job !  B)

Smerch maybe we can meet up at Jordon one day and you can show me the ropes around there :)

7 minutes ago, Tyler0420 said:

Smerch maybe we can meet up at Jordon one day and you can show me the ropes around there :)

I'll be "land" fishing there tomorrow .  Re-rigged my deep fishing rods today  for the  shallow water carp .  When my canoe is sea worthy , I'll launch her there and chase the cats , drum or anything with fins .....

1 hour ago, Mbocco said:

I’d be in for that too.  I’ve never met any of you.  

When all this covid bullshit is over we should do a get together with all the members. Be nice to put a face to all the names. For the guys who have been on here for a long time, have you guys ever had a get together of this type before ? 

When we have meet ups we pick spots where there's ample parking and reasonable shore space .  Some spots have changed over the years and parking may be a problem . The rec. canal is a nice place to meet but needs to be scouted for access and parking . For carp meets , there are spots to fish at Lake Ontario with lots of room  at either pond beside the lake ...if c19 accessible . 

2 hours ago, genec said:

I usually charge at the 10 amp setting.

I was under the impression that a 2 amp charge  takes longer but charges "deeper" on a trolling battery . What is the 2 amp used for ?  Some keep the 2 amp going to keep it at full charge in cold temps.

9 hours ago, Darryl L said:

When all this covid bullshit is over we should do a get together with all the members. Be nice to put a face to all the names. For the guys who have been on here for a long time, have you guys ever had a get together of this type before ? 

We’ll definitely all meet up when covid allows us to. 

I was always told Smerch a slow 2 amp charge on a deep cycle was best. Myself I'm not a battery Tec.:dunno:.

Now that I have an onboard charger for my 24 volt setup, my Minkota charger doesn't have a amp selection on it just lights that go from yellow to green when fully charged. At times I've had it plugged in for weeks, apparently it goes into a maintaining mode.

Then I was told not to use a starting battery as a deep cycle, their not good on draining and charging.

I talked to the guy at Northern Battery in Hamilton and asked him about using a deep cycle as a starting battery he said why not, that's even better with lots of things I have connected to my starting battery, so I went to a small size Deep Cycle starting battery. I have a small battery maintainer I plug it into once in awhile just to giver a little boost.

I have a charger that you can select the charge rate. One of the selections is automatic, it will start the battery at a 15 amp rate and when it gets fully charged it will switch to a maintenance rate. Seems to work well in the year that I have had it.

11 minutes ago, Fish Farmer said:

I was always told Smerch a slow 2 amp charge on a deep cycle was best.

That's the impression I have (had) also . There are small 2 amp chargers that I thought were for that purpose . We had one hooked up on the battery for the 12 volt lights  we used for our trailer .

11 minutes ago, Fish Farmer said:

I was told not to use a starting battery as a deep cycle, their not good on draining and charging.

I have drained my van battery a few times :rolleyes: ...left the parking lights on while fishing ......

BTW , my Minncota  is the Endura 38 .....

20 minutes ago, Bubba14 said:

One of the selections is automatic,

I don't have that option ,  but I think it stops after a full charge ,  and it also charges AGM batteries that are now being used on more new vehicles ....

Like the rest of you, I always removed my batteries from the boat in the fall and would use a 2 amp trickle charger once a month to keep them topped up. My charger as well has a 2, 10 and 15 amp setting and a switch for regular, deep cycle, and AGM. This year my dealer at Bay City Marine told me to continue doing that with the starting battery but to leave the deep cycle batteries in the boat (I store the boat in an unheated garage). He said to use the onboard charger to bring them to full charge, then disconnect them (very important). In the spring, reconnect them then again use the onboard charger to top them up. I did this and found they charged up completely in very little time and in my limited use of the boat so far this spring they seem fine. It's a lot easier for me because as you mentioned, those deep cycle batteries get heavier every year.

Don’t forget to check the fluid level in the cells. I had a starting battery that always charged well at 2amps and was really reliable but i had to add distilled water at least once a year to top up cells. That’s assuming you don’t have maintenance free battery. I also had everything hooked up to it. Lights, fish finder, small trolling motor n my 35hp Merc. 

16 hours ago, Morwood80 said:

Don’t forget to check the fluid level in the cells. I had a starting battery that always charged well at 2amps and was really reliable but i had to add distilled water at least once a year to top up cells. That’s assuming you don’t have maintenance free battery. I also had everything hooked up to it. Lights, fish finder, small trolling motor n my 35hp Merc. 

Don’t forget only fill with water after charging and just over the plates. 

+1 to what fish farmer said. Slow charge. I have an on board charger but found not to be using it because it took wayyy to long to charge all 3 of my batteries. Went back to the basics and slow charge with my trickle charger. The way I’ve been doing it seems to work. Got 9 great years out of my last interstates! 

Thanks for all the replies gents !   I  will check the cells for water first and charge the deep cycle  with  2 amps. It is 70 % as of now . I'll do the starter battery with 10 amps as usual .

Both batteries were bought together about 6 years ago hope to get a couple more years out of them .

While we're on the topic of boat batteries, what is everyone's preferred brand of deep cycle? I currently have a Kirkland battery that I bought from Costco 3 years ago that has worked for me. I've heard good things about Interstate but never owned one.